Introduction of Turk e Dunya
Usually the abundance of riches or wealth is famous as Turk e dunya but the Saint and Mystics define Turk e dunya as under:
- Everything which distracts or diverts the seeker’s ‘attention’ away from Allah towards itself is worldliness and abandoning it is turk e dunya.
- As it is the saying of the Holy Prophet:
مَا شَغَلَکَ عَنِ اللّٰہِ فَھُوَ صَنَمُکَ۔
Meaning: The thing which involves you with itself diverting your attention away from God is your idol.
Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani and turk e dunya
Al-Ghawth al-Azam (Ghaus ul Azam) Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani expounds:
- The soul with love for the world remains veiled from the hereafter. Moreover the soul with the love of the hereafter remains veiled from Allah.
Love of the world is filth
Sultan Bahoo says:
ہر کہ در مردار غرقش کی شود دیدار او
غیر ﷲ ہرچہ باشد دفتر از دِل بشو
Explanation: How can the person drowned in the carrion world attain the Divine vision? To have this blessing, you will have to adopt renunciation of world (Turk e dunya) other than Allah from your inward. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- God does not bless the inward with His attention which is brimming with the sensual desires of the inciting innerself, darkness of satanic thoughts and the filth of worldly love. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Teachings about Turk e dunya
He says about it:
- The reality of this world is just like a shadow. Therefore, as by turning your back towards the shinning sun, your shadow will come in front of you. If you try to hold it, your shadow will move ahead of you. Therefore, you will never catch it. But on the other hand, if you will turn your back to your shadow and walk towards the sun, your shadow will follow you. In this way, if you turn your back towards you Lord and run after the world, you can never be successful in it. But if you seek your Lord and adopt turk e dunya by turning back to the world, then it will come to you itself.
- Live in the world like a wild duck lives in water, it does not drown while swimming.
- Live in the world like a boat floats on water. Consider the boat as your esoteric self and the water as the world. The boat is safe unless the water enters it. When water enters the boat, it definitely sinks. You are like a boat and the water is like the world. Save yourself from the world and its love i.e adopt turk e dunya. (Sultan-ul-Faqr VI Sultan Mohammad Asghar Ali Life and Teachings)
He further defines turk e dunya as:
- If you have wealth but you do not foster love for it and spend generously for the sake of Allah, it cannot be called worldliness. However if you make the worldly things as your necessity then all these things would turn to the worldliness. Thus evade yourself from the need of material things while living in this world. Just as a wild duck lives in water but does not drown into it. Get your destiny from the world, as if a crane while living on a riverside gets its livelihood from it but does not let itself drown.
To be successful, one need to follow concept of turk e dunia and implement it. More importantly one must have clarity in mind about turk e dunya. It is not renunciation of world physically but inwardly.