Death of Sultan Bahoo
This article is regarding research on death of Sultan Bahoo. He died at the age of sixty three years. It was Thursday, 1st Jumada ath-thani, 1102 H (1st March 1691 AD) at the time of afternoon (Asr) salat.
Age at the Death of Sultan Bahoo
As far the death of Sultan Bahoo is concerned all the biographers agree on his age. That it was exactly sixty three years at the time of death of Sultan Bahoo according to the lunar calendar.
Sultan Mohammad Nawaz says:
شصت وسہ سال کرد در دنیا رسول
نور محمد باھوؒ را شد ایں حصول
Explanation: Prophet Mohammad spent sixty three years in the world. Similarly, Sultan Bahoo also spent the same period of time in the world.
“His age was exactly sixty three years in accordance with the age of Holy Prophet. Neither a day more nor less. His date of birth and death are the same.”
Different Opinions on date of birth and death
Manaqib-e-Sultani and death of Sultan Bahoo
- Sultan Hamid has not mentioned the date of birth in Manaqib-e-Sultani. Instead he writes that he died on the night of Friday 1st Jumada ath-thani, 1102 H.
Opinion of Ahmad Saeed Hamdani about birth and death of Sultan Bahoo
- Ahmad Saeed Hamdani writes in Sultan-ul-Arifeen Hazrat Sultan Bahoo (Hayat-o-Taleemat) that he was born in the reign of Shah Jahan. Shah Jahan ascended the throne in 1628 AD. According to this book, he was born some time before or after it. He writes about the death that 1690 AD is the death year in this book.
In his book Shama-e-Jamal, he writes the year of birth somewhere between 1627 AD and 1631 AD. Further he writes 1690 AD as the year of death of Sultan Bahoo. While in his book Ahwal-o-Maqamat Sultan Bahoo, he writes 1631 AD (1040 H) as the year of birth. Then he writes 1691 AD (1102 H) as the year of death of Sultan Haq Bahoo.
Opinion of Noor Mohammad Kulachvi about birth and death
- He writes that the year of birth is 1039 H. Then he adds that the date of death of Sultan Bahoo as 1st Jumada ath-thani 1102 H in his book Makhzan al-Asrar. Furthermore in the translation of Nur-ul-Huda Kalan by him, he writes the same date of birth and death of Sultan Bahoo. Also he added a detailed note his life.
Opinion of Saad Amir Khan Niazi
- Saad Amir Khan Niazi is the translator of Sultan ul Arifeen’s books. Now he has written that the year of birth is 1039 H. Then he adds that the date of death is 1st Jumada ath-thani 1102 H. He writes these dates in the biography given at the beginning of the translations. The translations include Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan, Shams-ul-Arifeen, Ain-ul-Faqr, Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan and Nur-ul-Huda Kalan.
Opinion of Tariq Ismail Sagar about birth and death of Sultan Bahoo
- Tariq Ismail Sagar writes the year of birth 1631 AD and year of death of Sultan Bahoo 1691 AD in Sahib-e-Lolaak.
Birth and death of Sultan Bahoo in Mirat-e-Sultan
- In Mirat-e-Sultan (Bahoo Nama Kamil) Sultan Altaf Ali, writes the year of birth as 1039 H. Then he adds the month of birth in these words:
“He must be born at the end of Shaban in the mentioned year because according to the traditions he avoided having mother feed during the days of Ramadan.”
According to this argument the age of Sultan Bahoo calculates to sixty two years, seven months and five days. Instead of sixty three years which is against the facts. He avoided mother feed in Ramadan does not prove that he was born in Shaban. Had he been born a few months before Shaban, even then he would not have taken mother feed in Ramadan. If Sultan Altaf Ali’s argument is accepted, it will create confusion about his age. It is unanimously accepted to be exactly sixty three years. Hence, his argument is not valid. However, he writes the date of death the same as others have written. Which is 1st Jumada ath-thani, 1102 H on Thursday, at the time of afternoon (Asr) salat.
Birth and Death of Sultan Bahoo
There is consensus of all biographers that his age was exactly sixty three years. Hence it was neither a day more nor less. As the year of birth is consented by most to be 1039 H. While date of death is agreed by all to be 1st Jumada ath-thani, 1102 H.
Subtract sixty three years from 1102, the year of birth confirms to 1039 H. As far as the date of birth is concerned, it is obvious that if date of birth of fakir Bahoo is considered to be the same as the date of death i.e. 1st Jumada ath-thani. Only then his age would be exactly sixty years, as was Prophet Mohammad’s age.
Sunna of Prophet Mohammad
and death of Sultan Bahoo
In short, he was born on Thursday 1st Jumada ath-thani 1039 H. The date of death of Sultan Bahoo is Thursday 1st Jumada ath-thani 1102 H, following the Sunna of Prophet Mohammad. Whose day and date of birth and death were the same and age was exactly sixty three years.